Temporary residents: their super, your obligations- Austsafe Super

Austsafe Logo

When peak season hits, an extra pair of hands goes a long way. For many employers, temporary residents are a great resource. So what’s required when it comes to their super?  

You will need to pay a temporary resident the standard Superannuation Guarantee (SG) payments if they’re:

  •  18 years or older, and
  •  Paid $450 or more (before tax) in a month.

If they’re under 18 years, but paid the amount listed above and work more than 30 hours per week, you will also need to pay them super.

Once they leave Australia permanently they can claim back their super. This is called a Departing Australia Superannuation Payment (DASP). To be able to claim, their visa must be expired or cancelled and they can’t be an Australian or New Zealand citizen or permanent resident of Australia.

Ex-employees can make a DASP claim at any time through the Australia Taxation Office’s (ATO) online application at ato.gov.au. As long as they have their super account details and know their Tax File Number, there’s nothing you need to do or provide.

For more information, visit austsafe.com.au/memberhub. We also have a Super for temporary residents Fact Sheet available at austsafe.com.au in 19 different languages, which you can provide to an employee where English is their second language. 

This editorial is general information only and does not take into account your individual objectives, financial situation or needs. You may also wish to seek the advice of a qualified financial planner. Please also read the relevant AustSafe Super Product Disclosure Statement (PDS) before making a decision in relation to the product available at austsafe.com.au.

Austsafe Pty Ltd ABN 96 010 528 597, AFSL 314183 is the Trustee of AustSafe Super ABN 92 398 191 503